Metro Atlanta Edge Cities Guide
If you are moving Atlanta or moving somewhere new inside of Atlanta, choosing where you want to live can be difficult. The City of Atlanta has a population of about 540,900 according to Wikipedia, but the Metro Atlanta Area is the ninth largest metropolitan statistical area in the United States. It is home to approximately 5.4 million people, so when moving to Atlanta or moving inside Atlanta, there are a variety of options. This article is meant to give a basic overview of the large cities/areas within the Metro Atlanta Area.
Developing Edge Cities/Areas
- Cumberland – Home to Cumberland Mall and at the intersection of I-75 and I-285 this is a growing area for business and residential. The cities of Smyrna, GA and Vinings, GA are very close to this area and are very popular places to live. This area offers quick access to the city of Atlanta and some of the best amenities that the suburbs have to offer, including great shopping, unique restaurants and excellent recreational activities, like the silver comet trail for example.
- Perimeter Center – Perimeter Center is located just northeast of Atlanta and is centered around Perimeter Mall. Because of this excellent Mall at its center, Perimeter Center offers some excellent shopping and dining opportunities. There is also a robust business community active in this area. Located right between the cities of Dunwoody and Sandy Springs this is a great location with a lot to offer.
- Alpharetta Northpoint Area – Alpharetta, located just north of Atlanta in Fulton County is one of the most affluent cities in the Atlanta area. Alpharetta is home to North Point Mall which gives residents excellent shopping and dining options. But not far from the mall you can find quiet neighborhoods with spacious homes.
- Downtown Decatur – Downtown Decatur is located east of Atlanta inside of the Perimeter (I-285). It is a growing and very unique area offering many specialty shops and unique places to dine. With a city population of just over 18,000 Decatur has a very unique Mayberry meets Berkley feel to it.
- Gwinnett Place – Gwinnett Place is home to Gwinnett Place Mall. This area continues to expand and grow as the city of Duluth grows. With plenty of shopping and dining options, Gwinnett place also offers quick access to Atlanta and is close to Stone Mountain and Lake Lanier. The Gwinnett area is also a great place for small businesses and it home to a very active Chamber of Commerce.
- Emory University Area – If you want to live inside the Perimeter in a growing area, this is a great option. Located in the Druid Hills area of DeKalb County this area has an interesting mix of old history and fresh growth. Just east of Midtown this area gives you very easy access to downtown Atlanta, downtown Decatur, or to several Interstates.
- Downtown Marietta – The city of Marietta is one of Atlanta’s largest suburbs and is home to approximately 58,000 residents. The downtown square has a lot of character and is home to many unique shops and restaurants as well and being host to many interesting events throughout the year.
Please keep in mind that Daniel Moving Systems is always here to serve your moving needs as our professional Atlanta mover!